Powered By Blogger

Thursday 14 July 2016

Remembering James Joyce : Celebrating Bloomsday

Around the world, lovers of James Joyce celebrate June 16 as Bloomsday. They recreate the events that happened on that day to Leopold Bloom, Molly Bloom and Stephen Dedalus, the immortal characters in Joyce's Ulysses (1922). In the same spirit, QLC too remembered Joyce and the way in which he yoked the realities of everyday life with the rare and almost mystical moments of the human soul. On 29 June 2016 members of the Club gathered to pay their tribute to James Joyce.

While the meeting was on!

When we think of Joyce, we think of Epiphany and we think inevitably again of Stephen Dedalus: the literary icon of the aspirations, confusions, and rebellion that universally define human youth. 

 But is it so, really?

Have you ever wondered if Stephen was Stephanie, or Susan or Samantha? Would the experiences be the same?
We do not know. 
But what we know is that our members of QLC , took up the "Dedalus Challenge"; When asked to describe their moments of epiphany, they came up with inspiring, touching  and often ordinary accounts of the twist and turns of their regular lives and how that led to uncanny and enlightening discoveries.


The highlight of the meeting was a "Spoken Word Poetry" performance by Guna Priya and Juveria. The duo rendered a creative version of popular social activist Sudha Murthy's response to a a job advertisement that barred "lady candidates" from applying. It was followed by a session where the members shared their moments of awakening in life. 
A delightful visit by our Principal, Dr. M.Surekha Reddy


Juveria, Guna Priya and Srinidhi in action. Glad to have Dr M. Prameela and Dr. K.Sarada with us

There's Joy/ce behind the star performers

We bring you some of the most inspiring experiences:


Keerti Rathi: The Chetan Effect


I have had a fairly regular life till now. But I can share one important turning point in my life. I am not the kind of girl who likes to read. I just some how manage to read the text books because I have to. And I often wondered how others, who were avid readers found time to read stories and novels. 

However, all that changed when my cousin handed me a copy of Chetan Bhagat's Five Point Someone. My cousin challenged me to complete it and I thought it was impossible for me to do that. But, you just cannot avoid the bug of reading forever, can you?! I started reading the book and I found it realistic, humorous and engaging. I finished that book in two days straight and haven't looked back since. Like J.K. Rowling once said, "Every one of us is a reader. Some of us just haven't found the right book yet."

Attentive Audience


Jahnavi Koushik: Blending In
I speak about seven different languages. I've lived in 4 different Indian cities. I recently realized that I have the ability to pick up the habits and language of the place that I live in. In a country as diverse as ours, this can be a difficult thing. But, if you have the will to learn and absorb yourself into the culture of the place, blending in can never be a problem. The realization that I have the communication and people skills made me a more self confident individual.


Dolly Agarwal: Learning from my Mother
When I was in school. I wasn't really interested in studies. Once, I  saw my mom working. She works for 365 days, 24 hours a day, without expecting anything from us. She just toils away, without any reward or complaints. Watching her make so many sacrifices for me, her daughter, made me want to make her happy and proud. I realized that I would be fulfilling her dreams if I worked hard and became a strong, successful woman. That was my moment of awakening and I have been working towards it ever since.

Lost in  Narration


Kavya Pujari: Finding Acceptance
First days of college are always nerve-wracking. I really wanted to fit in with the other girls in my class and make friends. When the opportunity to run for Class Representative came up, I gladly registered as a candidate, thinking that this would be the perfect way to make my mark in the class. Unfortunately, I wasn't selected. This was a huge blow for me. I took it as a personal rejection by my classmates and was extremely disappointed. But, as luck would have it, the girl selected as CR couldn't do it because of some issues. The opportunity presented itself again, and this time, I was elected as the CR. Gradually, I came to terms with the responsibilities and along the way, also made some amazing friends. I realized that one shouldn't judge people by their appearances and should never overlook their values. 


Hepsiba: Confessions of a Big Sis

I have always aimed at being a responsible daughter. When I recognized my position as the elder sister to Keerthana, my younger sister, I realized that I wanted her to grow up to be a responsible, self reliant individual. I saw that she was living quite a restricted life, limited just to school, home and the church. I wanted her to expand her horizons and find herself in the world. When I talked about this with my mom, she had apprehensions. She felt that it would be inadvisable for a young girl to try to be too bold. I told my mom then, that one's individuality is more important than what people think. I also told her that parents should be hands on and should take an active interest in their child's life, but shouldn't cross the line into being intrusive. 
Some months ago, I attended my sister's orientation program at her intermediate college with my mom. There, the resource person, Father Benny, reiterated all those things that I had mentioned to my mom. I felt so glad that I had got it right. My mom finally agreed with me. That day gave me a lot of motivation to become the best big sister I can be to Keerthana. I wish to show her the path, not just the destination. 


G.Anusha: Of Love and Sacrifice


I still remember that day. I completed my Intermediate exam 

and was preparing hard for CPT, an entrance test for CA. I 

was about to travel to a distant place to take the application 

form. I was taking my certificate and meanwhile I asked my 

mom to give me a cup of coffee. She prepared and gave it to 

me. Just as I walked out of my house, my brother came 

across me with some medicines in his hands and he said, 

“Sister! Where are you going? Mom’s hands burnt while she 

was cooking”. I was shocked and ran back to my mother. 

took her hands in mine.  They were badly burnt. I asked 

“why did you not tell me that your hands are burnt?” She 

replied, “you are going so far for your studies and just asked 

for a cup of coffee. Can’t I prepare that?” There were no 

words. Tears filled my eyes. I gave a warm hug to my mother 

and left. This was one of the many moments of awakening 

that I have had in my life. It taught me to respect and value 

the love of people who truly cared for me. 

G. Anusha sharing her moment of Epiphany



More Entries Coming Up...




No comments:

Post a Comment