Powered By Blogger

Friday 3 March 2017

Lit Love: Sameera Puri tells us how Literature Changed her Life

                                 
    “There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature.” 
Waiting to Fly!
Studying literature has not been easy. I come from a background where there is no encouragement for people who take up literature. It was a struggle for me right from the beginning. Literature had no significant role in my life till I started reading it in my graduation.  
Gradually, literature enabled me to find a place for myself in this big and confusing world. Stories written by other people helped me identify my role as a human being in this life. I enjoy reading literature, as I love to examine plots, characters, learn new words and sentences. This process always helps me to get a new perspective about the craft of literature.  
Over the years, as a student of literature, I have thoroughly enjoyed plays by William Shakespeare, essays by loving writers such as Charles Lamb, romantic poetry like "Tintern Abbey" by William Wordsworth and novels like "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.  

The bright skies of imagination!

These works have flooded my imagination with rich visions of nature and human nature. The description of beauty and the way we readers respond to the world of nature has been marvelously represented in these works. Literature has awakened many emotions in me. Emotions of love, joy, grief, loss; I have experienced a lot through the writings of literary artists. 
I have learnt about the past through literature. I enjoyed reading the History of English Literature. It showed me the complexities of early life in England and Europe and how it is connected to our history in India. 
I was a girl with small dreams. My biggest aim was to join a nursery school and teach little children. But my brothers who have successful careers in Hyderabad encouraged me to pursue higher studies. I used to see girls studying in our college and think, "will my life be one day like this"? Would  it possible for me to compete with the city girls of Hyderabad? They looked very smart and spoke English with such confidence. 
Dreams hanging from branches of Hope!

I must tell you that my intermediate was done in a distance mode. So, for years I was out of touch with the classroom teaching system. Joining RBVRR Women's College opened a new world of education for me. Once again, I was back to being a regular student. My brothers are my constant inspiration. I have also been encouraged by the faculty of English and History departments to take up academics seriously. 
Reading literature, has opened up new possibilities for me. When I read stories of struggle, success and power, I am able to identify myself with the characters. It gives me an optimism to pursue my dreams and in fact dream higher. I may not yet be an expert in English literature, but I admire and love it. Stories and imagination have encouraged me to dream a better and bigger life. I would like to end my essay , by quoting a few inspiring  lines from the poem "Dreams"   by Langston Huges:


Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die

Life is a broken-winged bird

That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow. 


On my way to fulfillment!

No comments:

Post a Comment